We use many techniques at BioMechanic Physical Therapy to care for a wide range of diagnoses, injuries and conditions. As a matter of fact, each therapist has their own unique style and "bag of tricks" to quickly reduce your pain and restore your normal function. The important thing is that we focus on two major points;
2. TREATING THE SOURCE AND THE SYMPTOMS.
Our unique approach is why we have won Best Physical Therapist in Loudoun County in both local elections for the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015! We are annually awarded Angies List Super Service Award!
We use all of the traditional physical therapy techniques and quite a bit more! Below is a sampling of techniques we use that you don't find at most physical therapy clinics...
Embracing the Science Geek!
You always want a geek when things get really bad — we are the geeks of PT — it’s not just what our name means — it’s how we practice PT. We use ALL of the latest - and the classic - gadgets to get you better faster. We use LASER, electrical neural mechanical acupuncture, Graston technique, external muscle stimulation, automated ultrasound, nerve fiber stimulation, traction, custom orthotics — in addition to the standbys of massage, exercise, heat and ice. So don’t settle for just exercises you can do at home — get the high tech stuff from professionals who have studied the science of your body mechanics, the science of healing, and the science of getting rid of the source of your pain with every technical tool available (in addition to our brilliant minds!).
The most important thing about our techniques is that we are founded in mechanics. Specifically your body's mechanics or biomechanics. All of our therapists believe that making sure the physics of you are optimized to get to reason of why you either, 1. developed a problem that came on slowly or 2. what mechanics or physics might have been thrown off by your injury or surgery. We use our hands and mechanical tools to measure and evaluate, our analytical minds to solve the problem and our hands to restore you to perfect!
- ETPS is a hybrid modality utilizing concentrated, low frequency, dc current stimulation to acutherapy points, motor/trigger points and contracted tissue bands. It can provide immediate pain relief, decrease muscle tonicity and accelerate tissue repair for musculoskeletal disorders.
- Muscle Energy Technique (MET) is a very powerful technique to use for back and neck pain. In Dr. Lisa Allen's opinion, it eclipses all others. This technique aims at relaxing muscle spasms and helping to restore proper joint alignment. MET is basically an electro-physiological trick that encourages muscles to relax more quickly than normal. MET is a non-invasive direct hands-on therapy. MET can be used to treat almost all joints in the body, in a safe and effective manner.
- Massage cupping is a body work technique based on the common practice of Chinese Cupping therapy. By creating suction and negative pressure this technique is used to soften tight muscles, loosen adhesions, and lifts connective tissue bringing hydration and blood flow to body tissues. It is also very helpful following surgical procedures to help reduce swelling and improve blood flow.
- Cold laser therapy uses a specific type of light to penetrate the skin's surface and underlying tissues to stimulate the body's natural repair processes. The result is faster healing and reduced pain, swelling and inflammation. Cold lasers are also sometimes used for acupuncture, using laser beams to stimulate the body's acupoints rather than needles. This treatment regimen appeals to those who want acupuncture but who fear needles.
- Gua Sha is a technique in which the skin is pressured in strokes by a rounded edged instrument resulting in small red petechia called sha. This technique is valuable in removing blood stagnation and eliminating fascial restrictions. It also is very helpful in restoring scar mobility following surgical procedures.
Back aches and pain can occur for a variety of reasons. Most people experience back pain as a result of sprains / strains, injuries, lifting improperly or sitting for prolonged periods. While there are a lot of options available to treat back pain, many of these only address the symptoms and don’t target the actual cause of your pain. Physical therapists find the actual causes of back pain, which can be muscle weakness, poor movement and poor spinal coordination.
Neck pain is also very common and can generate pain or limited mobility in the shoulder, arm or hand. Headaches and even migraines often are triggered by an underlying neck problem. For example, many patients complain of aches or tenderness in the neck and sometimes shooting, sharp pains to the connected body parts. Often, the primary problem causing your neck pain is tightened muscles and poor posture from daily stress, sitting at computers and inactivity.
At BioMechanic Physical Therapy, our physical therapists are experts in helping patients to quickly resolve their back and neck pain. During your evaluation, we will discuss your history, examine your spine, and evaluate your movement, strength, walking and coordination. This will help our physical therapists pinpoint the exact cause of your back pain or neck pain. We will work closely with your physician to design a treatment plan that best suits your needs and offers the quickest relief from pain and return to function.
Call us today on 703.723.7726 so we can help reduce your back and neck pain and get you back to optimal function today!
Since the shoulder motions are so complex, it takes experts in movement analysis to truly understand what is the root cause of your problem. Our expert physical therapists at BioMechanic Physical Therapy have years of medical training in movement analysis to determine exactly where your pain is coming from. We put together a comprehensive treatment plan that will quickly relieve your pain and return your shoulder’s full range of motion. The goal is to get you back to normal activities, as pain-free and as quickly as possible. Furthermore, we educate you on posture techniques and simple exercises you can do to maintain your shoulder health.
If you have had shoulder surgery, count us to work with you and your physician to achieve the best outcomes. With years of experience in helping patients fully recover from shoulder surgery, you are in good hands at BioMechanic Physical Therapy. Call us today on 703.723.7726 to make an appointment and to learn more how we can help you quickly relieve your shoulder pain!
Our expert physical therapists at BioMechanic Physical Therapy, understand the complexities of hip movement and function. We examine your walking, movement, range of motion, strength and coordination. Our evaluations enable us to pinpoint the source of your pain and to develop a series of manual therapies and exercises to restore normal function. Call us today to learn more about how we can help relieve your hip and knee pain!
We help patients of all ages recover from knee surgery and also prevent surgery if possible. If you had knee surgery, including total knee replacement, come in for treatments for a proper recovery that will get you back to peak performance quickly. Call us today to learn how we can relieve your knee pain.
The ankle is made up of the bones of the lower leg (tibia and fibula) forming an arch over the talus bone in the foot. This is actually a flexible arch that opens slightly when bending the ankle and closes when extending it. If this does not occur properly or the mechanics of the joint are not in good alignment, increased painful pressure occurs.
Just like the complexities of the hand, the foot and ankle is a very complex structure that can affect the functioning of your knee, hip, back and even posture. With ankle pain and foot pain, there is a lot that needs to be evaluated first before deciding on the appropriate treatment.
At BioMechanic Physical Therapy, our expert physical therapists have years of training in evaluating the movement of your foot, ankle and legs. We perform an analysis of your foot and ankle joints as well as the muscles in your legs. Furthermore, we analyze your walking and running patterns to determine the root cause of your foot pain or ankle pain so it can be treated quickly and effectively.
Trust us to help you relieve your pain quickly and restore your normal walking / running activities. Call us today to learn more about our ankle and foot pain program!